10.14.2014
Five Things I Want You to Know
Dear Pearl,
The month of October is Down Syndrome Awareness month--which really means nothing to you and honestly, doesn't really mean too much to me either. Why does it not mean much to me? Well, because most of the time you can't fix ignorance and I won't spend my life trying to prove to people that EACH person has value and the same chance at life as I have been given. But I did want to take a few lines to share with you 5 things I want you to know.
1. When we opened our hearts to Down Syndrome we opened our life to you. It was the best decision we ever made.
2. We go to therapy to improve who you are--not to change who you are. We have no desire to change who God created you to be.
3. If you never learned to do another new thing, you would still be amazing and have the same infinite worth.
4. God created Down Syndrome. It is not a mistake. I suspect that God causes the presence of a third copy of 21st chromosome in 1 in 800 births because we need people with Down Syndrome in our lives. Here is small and funny example of this: Yesterday, we decided to go to McDonalds for lunch. As we drove in the parking lot, you threw your arms into the air and yelled at the top of your lungs, "OH YEAH!". I said to daddy, 'THAT is why people love folks with DS--they express the feelings and joy that we have been taught to control to a socially acceptable level.'
5. A life worth living is not about achievements in academics, sports, music, relationships, jobs or social standings. Those things may or may not be possible for you but either way it doesn't matter. Pearl, we want to help you love others the way that God created you to--that leads to an AMAZING life which is what you deserve!
Love, love, love you!!!
Mommy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hello! Thank you for sharing. Cannot wait to see you guys again. We are between McAllen and Brownsville. Dios les bendiga!
ReplyDeleteYou have expressed such beautiful absolute truth!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your Pearl with us.
Blessings.
Kathy